My mind is running, but I am exhausted …do you ever feel like that?
Well I’ve found that one of the most effective ways to slow down your mind is meditation. Meditation is the art of focusing your attention in one area completely. Benefits of this may include:
- a decrease in anxiety
- relaxation through out the mind and body
- an increase in positive feelings
I found a great site with tips for beginners
that really helped me out. When I first started out meditating I could only sit for 5 minute increments, but the more I practiced, the longer I could do it without disruptive thoughts. A key component was to be patient with yourself
! Below are 5 of my personal tips:
- Listen to a CD with nature sounds or a guided meditation.
- Sit in an area that is dimly lit or outside
- Concentrate on the breathing: Inhale for 8 counts, exhale for 4 counts.
- If you have an itch or need to re-adjust, do what you need to feel comfortable.
- If you can’t concentrate, STOP. Walk away for now and come back and try later.
This is what I like to do - what do you do to calm down?